Svayam - Dignity for people with reduced mobility
Jindal SAW Ltd. proudly supports Svayam - An initiative of S.J. Charitable Trust.
Jindal SAW Ltd. continues to support Svayam, which has set an exemplary pace in not only creating awareness but also in motivating various civic and government agencies to take the necessary steps in making public infrastructure accessible and inclusive for all.
Svayam reaches out to all stakeholders by way of seminars, workshops, free training sessions, presenting papers at various international forums and sharing the learning from various experiential projects it is involved in.
Svayam articulates mobility needs of people to government bodies like Ministry of Urban Development, Ministry of Tourism, Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment etc and to society at large to ensure that each one of us thrives in an inclusive and barrier free environment.
Svayam was founded by Ms. Sminu Jindal, MD Jindal SAW Ltd. She devotes extensive time, resources and energy to realize Svayam's mandate of providing wings to people with reduced mobility.
Her single-minded dedication to the cause has not only given it the right impetus but also influenced policymakers to incorporate steps to meet the rising demands of 'inclusivity for all'.
Svayam has been working across India towards making tourism infrastructure including different modes of transportation accessible to a diverse group of users especially the elderly and the disabled and in the last few years it has managed to stir a change. Here are some of Svayam's achievements:
- Svayam has helped Delhi Transport Corporation to make 1400 Bus-Queue-Shelters across Delhi accessible and worked with Public Works department (PWD) and New Delhi Municipal Council (NDMC) to build accessible sidewalks, where none existed.
- Svayam has evaluated the pilot BRT system which has been running since 2007 and has shared the inputs with the Ministry of Transportation.
- Svayam has developed a blue print to enhance accessibility for the new capital region outside Ahmedabad and has shared the same with The State of Gujarat.
- Svayam works closely with the Archeological Survey of India (ASI) to make world heritage sites in India such as Qutub Minar & Red Fort in Delhi and Taj Mahal in Agra accessible and work is underway on other sites.
- Svayam is also a member of the core committee of the Ministry of Tourism working towards enhancing accessible tourism in India.
- On an invitation from the Ministry of Urban Development Svayam has been a part of the Ministry’s Core Committee to help them bring about Uniformity in the Standards on Accessible Environment for India in the light of best practices from around the world. Also, currently Svayam is undertaking audits of the Central Government buildings across India for the Ministry of Urban Development.
- Svayam has been invited by the Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS) to review and revise their existing standards on Functional Requirement in Buildings to ensure they are accessible for all.
- In an endeavour to promote an inclusive society, Svayam won the bid for the 13th TRANSED (International Conference on Mobility and Transport for Elderly and Disabled People) at Transport Research Bureau of the United States of America where the other contenders were Germany and South Africa. The conference which has been hosted in 11 countries so far including UK and the USA is scheduled to be held in New Delhi, India on September 17-21, 2012.
AWARDS AND RECOGNITIONS
- National Tourism Award of Excellence by Ministry of Tourism, Govt. of India for making the World Heritage site Qutub Minar in New Delhi as the most accessible & disabled friendly historical monument.
- National Tourism Award for the ‘Best Maintained & Disabled Friendly Monument’ for Red Fort in 2011
- Svayam’s poster titled “Accessible Public Road Transportation System” was adjudged the Best Poster under the theme “Design guidelines, case studies, manuals, best practices.” at TRANSED conference, Hong Kong in June 2010.
DISABLILITY AWARENESS AND SENSITIZATION WORKSHOPSTRAINING AND ADVICACY ACTIVITIES INITIATED BY SVAYAM
- Svayam conducts regular lectures, trainings and simulations with trainee government school teachers in the Teacher Training Institutions of SCERT (State Council for Educational Research & Training).
- Svayam has been invited by Ministry of Tourism to conduct weekly training sessions at IHM, Pusa to sensitize budget hotel owners on the issues of accessibility under the capacity development program of the Ministry.
- To sensitize drivers and conductors of Delhi Transport Corporation on serving passengers with disabilities, Svayam joined hands with AICB to conduct training and simulating sessions and trained their master trainers.
- Svayam has conducted workshops in Architecture College at Jaipur, Rajasthan.